Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My Interview with Maurice Ravel by Pierre Sovony

Bon jour and welcome to the Sovony show. I am Pierre Sovony and on the show today we have Mr. Maurice Ravel. Mr. Maurice Ravel is a French Pianist.
Ravel: Bon jour, Mr. Sovony.
Sovony: Mr. Ravel, how did you get interested in music?
Ravel: Well Mr. Sovony, my mother was Swiss. She would sing me songs in Spanish and I began to love the sound of music. I would begin to listen to the melody of the song.
Sovony: What kinds of things or people made you want to get started in piano?
Ravel: As I said before, my mother.   But then I started to hear other piano players. Hearing them made me interested.
Sovony: How was the time period of music for you?
Ravel: The time was good. Every child wanted to play some sort of instrument. It came to be the time for a war. Most performers had to take a break and go into the army.
Sovony: In your time of work was it hard to become known?
Ravel: There were a few struggles. It was a challenge but I got through it.
Sovony: How did the major cultural, economic, and political situations of the time impact your work?
Ravel: There were always small problems with money but when I became known it was no problems. I had my mother and father there to help me.
Sovony: What accomplishments have you made that you are proud of? What methods of learning and playing the piano did you use?
Ravel: One of the pieces I am most proud of is Boleˊro, played by Harpist Denise Herbecht.  
Sovony: What were the key opportunities you had that led to turning points in your life?
Ravel: Well I had the opportunity to serve my country. I had many great pianists come before me.
Sovony: What kind of things did you have to give up to become successful?
Ravel: I had to give up the idea of a family. I could not have a wife and kids.
Sovony: Why couldn’t you have kids? Was it just a life choice?
Ravel: It was a life choice because I traveled a lot. I was always going place to place. I moved back and forth a lot. I would not have a stable family if I did have one.
Sovony: What kinds of things slowed you down in your career?
Ravel: The war put a big break in my composing. The war put a break in a lot of people’s life and work.
Sovony: What limitation did you have as an artist and a person?
Ravel: I really didn’t have any. The only thing was that my family is not a musical family. They enjoyed music and the sound of it, but none of them played a instrument.
Sovony: What do you have to show for becoming a successful pianist?
Ravel: I have the title of one of the best pianists that came out of France.
Sovony: Thank you for joining me on the show.

6 comments:

  1. I find it a very interesting choice why you didn’t have a family I like the reason, good thinking. I like seeing a French pianist, I think they fit perfectly as if puzzle pieces. I find piano a very lovely instrument , especially when a talented pianist is playing like yourself, I would love to hear you play. I’m glad you understand that the war slowed not only you down in life, I respect that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seemed like a very busy man traveling and all. Serving for your country was a big opportunity, opening doors. I agree with you on the wife and kids, because during those times jobs were hard to find, money was an issue. Having kids later and settling down may or may not,have been good. Like what Vernon said,"I like seeing a french pianist." I too like seeing a french pianist who had his own story to tell. I find it interesting and nice that such a great musician of France,found his passion of a lifetime only from a mothers voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy, Busy, Busy 'tis the life of the artiest

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello sir, I'm a pianist too! I'd love to tickle the Ivories with you sometime, Drop a line! Your music is beautiful, and impressive!

    ReplyDelete